JOHNSTON, R.I., USA—Colin Day, chief executive of Essentra plc, a leading international supplier of specialist plastic, fiber and foam products, has been elected to the board of directors of FM Global, one of the world’s largest commercial and industrial property insurers. FM Global’s board comprises executives from the world’s most sophisticated manufacturing, distribution and service organizations.
Established in 1835, FM Global is a mutual insurance company whose capital, scientific research capability and engineering expertise are solely dedicated to property risk management. Its client-owners, who share the belief that the majority of property loss is preventable, include one of every three FORTUNE 1000 companies and similar size organizations worldwide.
“Colin Day brings a broad range of experience in international operations, corporate strategy and finance as well as a significant background in making organizations more resilient,” said Shivan S. Subramaniam, chairman and chief executive officer, FM Global. “As a mutual company, owned and directed by its policyholders and uniquely focused on helping to protect clients' worldwide properties, he will provide an added dimension to our board of directors.”
Day was named Essentra’s chief executive in April 2011. Prior to joining Essentra, he was chief financial officer at Reckitt Benckiser plc for more than a decade and was instrumental in merger and acquisition activity as well as the development of group strategy. Before that, he held a range of senior financial and operational positions at a variety of companies. Day is a Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants and has an MBA from Cranfield School of Management, UK.
Other members of FM Global’s board of directors include:
- Shivan S. Subramaniam, chairman and chief executive officer, FM Global
- Frank T. Connor, executive vice president and chief financial officer, Textron Inc.
- Walter J. Galvin, retired vice chairman, Emerson Electric Co.
- John A. Luke Jr., chairman and chief executive officer, MeadWestvaco Corporation
- Jonathan D. Mariner, executive vice president, finance and chief financial officer, Major League Baseball
- Gracia C. Martore, president and chief executive officer, Gannett Co., Inc.
- Christine M. McCarthy, executive vice president, corporate real estate, alliances and treasurer, The Walt Disney Company
- John R. Paolian, retired chief operating officer, RR Donnelley
- David Pulman, former president of global manufacturing and supply, GlaxoSmithKline
- Edward J. Rapp, group president, construction industries, Caterpillar, Inc.
- James C. Thyen, president and chief executive officer, Kimball International, Inc.
- Alfred J. Verrecchia, chairman of the board, Hasbro, Inc.